There have now been literally thousands of studies done in both animals and humans. Overall, red and near infrared light has been repeatedly shown to have positive effects on cell function in animal and human studies and aid in improving a wide range of conditions.
The list of proven benefits from this therapy is extensive and many of the diseases that have been improved with red light therapy are industries in themselves. For example:
Weight loss/fat loss/cellulite reduction
Inflammation and inflammation related diseases (like heart disease, depression, cancer, chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia and Alzheimer’s)
Cognitive performance and brain development
Arthritis and joint health
All these ailments and many others have been scientifically proven to have significant improvement with Red Light Therapy. The amazing thing is that you do not require a prescription to be treated with this therapy. And, often the treatment will show results in a few weeks or less.
THE THERAPEUTIC SPECTRUM: COMBINING THE BENEFITS OF FIVE WAVELENGTHS
Harnessing the most biologically effective wavelengths is the key to optimizing the benefits of red light and near-infrared light therapy. Certain near-infrared and red light wavelengths are recognized for the unique therapeutic and regenerative results they offer the body.
The red light spectrum extends from approximately 620 nm to 750 nm. The red light wavelengths that have the most scientifically proven benefits are 630 nm and 660 nm. Near-infrared starts at 750 nanometers and extends all the way to 1,200 nm. Near-infrared wavelengths that have been scientifically proven to yield benefits for humans include the 810 nm, 830 nm and 850 nm wavelengths.
Now, let’s take a look at the five red and near-infrared wavelengths included in the lights used by Red Light Therapy of WNY and uncover what they are capable of achieving!
THE 630NM WAVELENGTH (RED LIGHT)
The 630nm wavelength is ideal for targeting all manner of skin concerns. 630nm wavelengths penetrate the skin cells and sebaceous glands to rejuvenate the skin’s tone and texture by smoothing and evening out uneven pigmentation. This wavelength has also been found to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and can also stimulate hair regrowth.
The 630nm wavelength offers the following benefits:
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles: In one study, the 630nm wavelength was combined with other beauty treatments such as microneedling to create a statistically significant improvement in photodamage, fine lines and sagging.
- An improvement in skin disorders such as psoriasis: One study showed that the use of the 630nm wavelength used in conjunction with hematoporphyrin derivative (HPD) helped to eradicate the symptoms associated with psoriasis within 17 days.
- Hair regrowth: Red light therapy containing the 630nm wavelength has been proven to be a safe and effective method of stimulating hair growth in both men and women. One study hypothesized that the light stimulated stem cells in the hair follicle, encouraging the hair follicle into an anagen or growth phase.
- Healing of superficial skin cancers: Wavelengths of 630nm have been shown to help in the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancers.
- The treatment of acne: The 630nm wavelength has also been shown to help reduce inflammation and breakouts.
THE 660NM WAVELENGTH (RED LIGHT)
There is an abundance of literature outlining the benefits offered by the 660nm wavelength. Penetrating just a little deeper than the 630nm wavelength, the 660nm reaches into the entire range of the skin tissue to promote healing and regeneration.
Some of its diverse benefits include:
- Reduced training fatigue: The 660nm wavelength teamed with the 830nm near-infrared wavelength has been proven to delay the development of fatigue in the muscles, and enhance skeletal muscle performance. (Athletes, take note.)
- Reduced inflammation: In a study investigating the effects of red light therapy on pleurisy, the 660nm wavelength was found to induce an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Improved bone healing: The 660nm wavelength encourages resorption and formation in the bone cells around the location where repair is needed, without causing any change to the bone structure.
- Reduced swelling following injury: In one study, the 660 nm wavelength was found to reduce both inflammation and swelling by reducing the number of inflammatory cells which lead to the formation of swelling.
- Reduced neuropathic pain: A study investigating sciatic nerve pain in rats found that the 660 nm wavelength significantly helped to reduce pain.
- Accelerated wound healing: The 660 nm wavelength has been proven to increase the formation of new blood vessels and enhance collagen deposition to help in the healing of wounds.
THE 810NM WAVELENGTH (NEAR-INFRARED LIGHT)
With an ability to extend through the skull into the brain, the 810nm wavelength offers a unique array of neurological benefits. Many forward-thinking scientists are of the belief that light therapy for brain disorders will become a prominent medical treatment in the near future. Expect to reap the following benefits from the 810nm wavelength:
- Improved healing and recovery: A study of soccer players showed that the 810nm wavelength applied before activity enhanced muscular performance and post-exercise recovery.
- Accelerated wound healing: 810nm wavelengths have been shown to help expedite wound healing, helping the tissue to granulate more rapidly.
- Improved recovery from stroke in certain patients: One study conducted among stroke patients showed that wavelengths of 810nm provided neuroprotective benefits and improved recovery among sufferers of moderate to severe strokes. Five days after the stroke, there was significant improvement among those who had been treated with the 810nm light therapy, compared to those who hadn’t. Ninety days post-stroke, 70% of the treated patients had a successful outcome, compared with only 51% of the control group.
- Improved recovery from traumatic brain injury: 810nm has been proven in animal models to be particularly effective in fostering recovery from traumatic brain injuries, and reducing long-term neurological damage.
- Improvement in psychiatric disorders: Prescription drugs for psychiatric conditions have long been recognized as having a limited ability to assist individuals suffering from psychiatric conditions. What’s more, pharmacotherapeutic medication often carries a host of unwanted side effects, while near-infrared light therapy doesn’t. 810nm wavelengths applied to the forehead have been shown to assist patients suffering from major depression and anxiety.
- Hair growth: Studies have shown the 810nm wavelength can encourage significant hair growth in patients with androgenetic alopecia.
THE 830NM WAVELENGTH (NEAR-INFRARED LIGHT)
The 830nm wavelength is not as readily absorbed by the body, therefore it is able to penetrate deeper through skin and tissue and into the bone. A greater quantity of photons are delivered into the tissue with the 830nm wavelength. The incorporation of the 830nm wavelength into the BIOMAX delivers the following advantages:
- Accelerated healing and reduced infection: Like the 810nm wavelength, 830nm accelerates healing in wounds of different severity and helps to ward off infection.
- Improved aesthetic outcomes following plastic surgery: Swift exposure to 830nm wavelengths after aesthetic surgery hastens recovery, reduces downtime and enhances the results of surgery by reducing swelling, infection, bruising and pain, therefore leading to greater patient satisfaction.
- Increased “feel-good” endorphins: 830nm wavelengths increases the release of endorphins. Endorphins are peptides which promote feelings of wellness and provide a natural analgesic, triggering a sensation similar to morphine.
- Improved bone repair and growth: An animal study demonstrated that 830nm light therapy improved bone repair by stimulating new bone growth.
- Faster return-to-play after injury: The ability to return-to-play as swiftly as possible after injury or trauma is a key concern for any amateur or professional athlete. 830nm LED light therapy has been proven to significantly and safely reduce the wait time before injured athletes can return to play.
THE 850NM WAVELENGTH (NEAR-INFRARED LIGHT)
In many cases, the 850nm amplifies the benefits provided by the 810nm and 830nm wavelengths. This wavelength has a range of therapeutic applications such as:
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: 850nm wavelengths can help to reduce joint and muscle pain and diminish general inflammation in the body.
- Enhanced muscle recovery: A study observed the use of 850nm wavelengths on athletes, and found that usage of the near-infrared light increased muscle mass after training, and decreased inflammation and oxidative stress in muscle biopsies.
- Healing of wounds in the skin: Lesions in the skin heal faster when exposed to 850nm wavelength light therapy.
- Reduction of lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation: 850nm can support the production of collagen, assisting with plumper, more radiant-looking skin, and a more uniform texture.
- Orthodontics and tooth alignment: The use of the 850nm wavelength can foster the speedy realignment of teeth for patients undergoing orthodontics.
THE POWER OF FIVE.. AND UNBEATABLE POWER DENSITY
Combine these five wavelengths, and you have the most powerful and advanced near infra-red LED light therapy devices on the market.